Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Birds At Work

Spring is slowly arriving...a few trees starting to leaf out, though most are still bare. I walked down by the creek to look for migrating waterthrushes or some early warblers. Still not many migrants, but a singing Ruby-crowned Kinglet was new for the season. Just to give a taste of what's around this time of year, here's what I saw on my half hour break:

Canada Goose (6)
Mallard (2)
Wild Turkey (2)
Turkey Vulture (1)
Red-tailed Hawk (1)
Rock Pigeon (2)
Mourning Dove (3)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Northern Flicker (1)
Eastern Phoebe (1)
Blue Jay (2)
American Crow (3)
Fish Crow (1)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (2)
Carolina Chickadee (3)
Tufted Titmouse (2)
Carolina Wren (2)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1)
American Robin (4)
European Starling (2)
Cedar Waxwing (3)
Chipping Sparrow (1)
Song Sparrow (5)
White-throated Sparrow (8)
Dark-eyed Junco (2)
Northern Cardinal (5)
Red-winged Blackbird (6)
Common Grackle (2)
Brown-headed Cowbird (1)
House Finch (2)

The wild turkeys were underneath the birdfeeder behind the office this morning before I started my walk. They have to be one of my favorite birds--I love to see their prehistoric gait as they run. The swallows are building nests under the bridge over the creek. As is the phoebe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice list, Rob! I love the turkeys too. I was at a friend's for a barbecue on Easter Sunday and several came to visit. This morning at home, I heard a very odd noise that took me a few hearings to recognize as a wild turkey. Never did see them, as I was already late to work, but now that I know they're here, I'll being paying more attention.

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites