Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Birds on the Beach


Laughing Gulls, Brown Pelicans, and Reddish Egrets are pretty common birds on the Gulf Coast. You could probably see them every day of the year. But what you might not see all the time, is large numbers of these birds running around right at your feet. On the beach outside my hotel in Veracruz, a large flock of these birds would gather every morning as the fishermen hauled in their gill net and sorted their fish. The gulls were everywhere, the pelicans were bobbing in the surf just a few feet offshore, and an egret ran between the fishermen working the net. Birds and humans, living together, sharing the beach, and making it work. Wish it were so easy to accomodate all bird species.

2 comments:

Jeff Gyr said...

Hey Rob--

I like the new mast head, or blog head, or banner, or whatever it's called...it looks cool.

Good to hear from you, but I'm bummed that you broke your extended postless streak before I did.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I did see you, because I was watching this, too (we were on the 6th floor...please don't tell me you were down the hall!).

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites