Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 09, 2007

Lazuli Dip

For most folks, dip is a tasty concoction you eat with chips. For birdchasers, a dip is when you chase a bird but don't find it. This morning, I dipped on Lazuli Bunting twenty minutes from my house.

Lazuli Buntings should be in Mexico right now. But apparently one is in the next county over (see photos here).

I got there at 8:30 after taking my kids to school. The bird had shown up for a mere 2 minutes at 7:45. Apprently, it is only seen in the morning, and disappears for the rest of the day. Nobody knows where it goes.

I wandered around the area hoping to discover its hidden daytime haunts, but no luck. However, it wasn't a completely wasted morning, as I was able to get some really close looks at two American Woodcocks--including a great look at one bird on the ground. These secretive nocturnal sandpipers are usually only seen in the dim light of evening when they fly around displaying over open brushy areas in the woods. Today it was great to get up close and personal with a couple of these amazing birds.

Since I've seen dozens of Lazuli Buntings before, but had very few good looks at woodcocks, I think I got the better end of the bargain. Of course, that won't stop me from making another trip to look for Pennsylvania's third-ever-reported Lazuli again this weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finding the website for George's photos - really makes me wish I had time to drive down for the weekend!

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites