Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 01, 2009

1st Bird Chase of 2009: White-winged Crossbills

While checking my email this morning, I got word that some White-winged Crossbills were feeding in spruce trees at Lake Nockamixon about 10 minutes from my house. So I jumped in the car and headed up there. Unfortunately, by the time I got there nobody was seeing the birds. I heard them once on the far side of the spruce grove, but never got to see them. Not the most satisfying conclusion, but since I saw a bunch in Maine last summer, at least I got to hear them today--the first I've heard in Pennsylvania. They've been moving south since last year, so maybe if I keep my eyes and ears open I'll get to actually see some around here soon.

(photo: Wikipedia)

No comments:

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites