Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 29, 2013

Grooving on Birdscapes

I love birds.  But as much as I love the birds, I also love the places where the birds are found.  The other day I spent several hours just enjoying the wind, water, and clouds at my local reservoir.

Spruce Run Reservoir, Hunterdon, NJ, 28 March 2013
Birding has taken me to all 50 US states and a host of other countries.  I've enjoyed all the birds, but in many ways the birds are just a small piece of the landscapes--or birdscapes, if you will.  It is hard to separate them in my mind.  The three Bonaparte's Gulls that flew in to join the other gulls on the edge of the reservoir in the shot above (three small white dots on the left of the others), are as much a part of the moment as the clouds and the waves.  Birding is a celebration of birds, but even more so a celebration of life and place.

This really struck me as I picked up a copy of the new Crossley ID Raptor Guide.  There on each plate was captured amazing scenes that I've enjoyed in my travels.  In fact, I loved it so much I got Princeton Press to give away a free copy of the guide to whoever can best guess the location of seven birdscapes shown in the book (check it out and enter the contest over at BirdingIsFun).

In the meantime, here are several other amazing birdscapes from the guide.  Enjoy!  





Be sure to pick up a copy of the Crossley ID Raptor Guide if you love this kind of stuff.  But with spring in the air here in the northern hemisphere, be sure to get outside and connect to your own favorite local birdscapes.  Then come back and tell us what birdscapes most inspire you and why!

2 comments:

Minneapolis Bankruptcy Attorney said...

these are all breath taking pictures.. so wonderful

Anonymous said...

this is a breath taking pics :) Maple Valley Auto Repair

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites