Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Crossing the Finish Line--1000 Species Challenge Final Day

Sora, Cold Brook Preserve, NJ
The day started with my not knowing exactly how many species I needed to cross the 1000 species threshold, as I hadn't tallied up all my species from Saturday.  But I thought I needed at least 30 species to finish the day.

After teaching my classes at East Stroudsburg University, I stopped by the greenhouse and picked up what I hoped would be at least a dozen species.  Then I stopped by Cold Brook Preserve to look for the Sora that had been there the last two days.  After many days of looking for this bird this fall and last fall, it was nice to get good looks of an adult Sora feeding on the edge of the small marshy pond there.

Then I headed home to be with my kids as they got off the bus from school.  We wandered the yard and turned over logs hoping to get enough species to finish out the month.  By bedtime I was sure I had gotten 1000 species, but didn't know what my final tally would be.  As it is, the final tally will go up as I identify additional plants and moths that I have photographed this month, but for now at least the goal was met.

Later I'll post a recap and retrospective of what I learned doing this challenge this month.  I'm already thinking about how to go bigger next September :-)

Final Species Tally: 1004+

New Species
Jumping Spider Salticidae sp.
Orb-weaving Spider Araneidae sp.
Wolf Spider Lycosidae sp.
Sora Porzana carolina
Woodlouse Oniscidea sp.
Ant  Formicidae sp.
Band-winged Grasshopper Oedipodinae sp.
Bumblebee  Bombini sp.
Fruit Fly Tephritidae sp.
Large Carpenter Bee Xylocopinae sp.
Orange Sulphur Colias eurytheme
Northern Short-tailed Shrew Blarina brevicauda
Birdbill Dayflower Commelina dianthifolia
Bowstring Hemp Sansevieria hyacinthoides
False Lilac Leptodermis oblonga
Fire Lilly Cyrtanthus elatus
Fuchsia Fuchsia hybrid
Grass Aloe Aloe verecunda
Hippeastrum Hippeastrum vittatum
Hippeastrum Hippeastrum aulicum
Hummingbird Bush Anisacanthus quadrifidu
Lindheimer's Beeblossom Oenothera lindheimeri
Pelargonium Storksbill Pelargonium sp.
Pink Friesland Sage Salvia nemorosa
Porcupine Tomato Solanum pyracanthum
Purple Passionflower Passiflora incarnata
Red Clover Trifolium pratense
Rose Cactus Pereskia grandifolia
Spotted Touch-Me-Not Impatiens capensis
Turquoise Crossanda Ecbolium viride

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow!! that was awesome :) Safety Equipment Supplies

Alaska Fishing Lodge said...

that's great!!! :)

Joe Torri Law Child Custody Lawyer Fullerton CA said...

That's wonderful! I hope it the list will increase.

Eurrie Park said...

wow.. fantastic so nice


suggested M&M Adventures Skagway Alaska Tours

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites