Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Its Alive!


Scientists shocked the world this morning with the announcement that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, presumed extinct for decades, has been rediscovered in the forests of eastern Arkansas. When I heard the news on the radio on the way into work this morning, I started to tear up. This is the biggest news in American bird conservation in my lifetime. As one of my friends commented to ABC News, "its like finding Elvis".

Science Magazine article, including video documentation of the bird, online here. Additional info about the continuing efforts to save the birds are at www.ivorybill.org.

3 comments:

Rurality said...

Yippee! The best bird news in a long, long time.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site. Stumbled across it via Technorati looking for blogs commenting on the Ivory-Billed discover.

I heard the news very early this morning on NPR. It was all I could do to not start calling people at 0 dark hundred to tell them to turn on the radio. Stunning news, absolutely stunning.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site. Stumbled across it via Technorati looking for blogs commenting on the Ivory-Billed discovery.

I heard the news very early this morning on NPR. It was all I could do to not start calling people at 0 dark hundred to tell them to turn on the radio. Stunning news, absolutely stunning.

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites