Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Buffies in the Morning

(Photo: Howard Eskins)

This morning I stopped by Pine Run, where the water levels are down and a few shorebirds are starting to show up. Best birds were what appeared to be a male and female Buff-breasted Sandpipers--always a good bird in this area, and on the late side for them to be moving through. Also 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 6 Least Sandpipers and 45 Killdeer. I also heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the woods--looks like it may be a good year for them down here. At Peace Valley, I saw my first Ruddy Ducks (3) of the fall, as well as a nice juvenile Ring-billed Gull, which I usually only see later in the year when they've already molted into their first winter plumage.

Update:
Howard Eskins was able to get over and photograph the Buff-breasted Sandpipers on his lunch break. In addition to this shot here, see his other photos of the birds here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a nature and wildlife photographer temporarily based in Mercer County NJ and I'm always looking for new places to photograph. If you don't mind sharing, I'd love if you could let me know some good places to find and photograph birds, such as Pine Run (I found a street on Google maps near Peace Valley Park, but there doesn't appear to be a water source nearby). Feel free to check out my website.

birdchaser said...

Map to Pine Run is here. Access is just to the East of the lake at the bend in Iron Hill Rd. There's a gate and a path, but open to the public.

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites