Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cache Valley Birds

On the 28th I went back for a second helping of Sharp-tailed Grouse in Paradise, where we found 10 birds in trees. Also got good looks at three Ring-necked Pheasants, also in trees--but little else besides House Finches, Dark-eyed (Oregon) Juncos, and an immature Bald Eagle.

Then we headed up to the small reservoir at the mouth of Logan Canyon to see the Barrow's Goldeneye that are always there this time of year with Common Goldeneyes. The wind was blowing too much in the canyon to enjoyably search for other birds up there, so we drove around the Utah State University campus neighborhoods looking for winter birds--rewarded with lots of Cassin's Finches with flocks of House Finches, four Townsend's Solitaires, a couple of Pine Siskins, and finally after chasing down flocks of birds--300+ Bohemian Waxwings with a handful of Cedar Waxwings mixed in.

The best bird of the morning was a male Eastern Bluebird (very rare in Utah) mixed in with the waxwing flock. I only saw it for a few seconds before the whole flock of waxwings took off, splitting into two large groups and flew away. I couldn't find the bluebird after the flock flew. Other birders are looking for it, hopefully someone can find it in with the waxwings or perhaps hanging out elsewhere in Logan.

2 comments:

Rick Wright said...

Happy New Year, Rob!
My first western birding ever was in the Wasatch and Cache Valley in spring 1980, when after my freshman year of college I took the train from Omaha to visit my friend Alan in Logan. I have very happy memories of all the birds, 'life' and otherwise, of that trip, and it was that adventure that really whetted my appetite for the American west.
All this just to say how much I am enjoying reading about your experiences!
Rick
http://wingsbirds.com

Rick Wright said...

I, too, enjoy examining sand on the roads.

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites