Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 07, 2007

Evening Grosbeak

I was on a phone call sitting at my desk this afternoon when something scared up a flock of Brown-headed Cowbirds. At the same time, another bird flew up from the feeder and landed in a bare bush--a female Evening Grosbeak. After a few seconds, the bird flew up into a tree and I lost it. After I could finish the call, I went outside to see if I could find it. No luck. Hopefully it will show up again, and I'll get more chances to see these rare northern visitors this year, as they have come south in search of food after the seed crop failure this year in the boreal forests of Canada.

Today was a Project Feeder Watch day at work, so I was paying extra attention to the feeders. I saw 21 species at the feeders today--not a bad way to end the week at work.

2 comments:

Patrick B. said...

At first when I read the sentence, "the bird flew up into a tree and I lost it." I thought you were saying that you went nuts. LOL. Great sighting! I hope I see one in NJ this year.

mon@rch said...

Great day for sure and glad you found the Evening Grosbeak!

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites