Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 16, 2007

Turkey Day is Coming

Next week is a bird-related holiday that we often don’t take full advantage of—Turkey Day!

For the last couple of years I’ve started a tradition of taking my kids out to look for Wild Turkeys on Thanksgiving morning. I’m not always successful at finding the birds, but I have a good time taking my three kids out. You can read my last three Turkey Day expedition reports here on my blog:

2004
2005

2006

So, if you have turkeys in your area, or even the possibility of turkeys, consider taking out your kids, grandkids, family, friends, or whoever on an annual Turkey Day expedition. A great way to spend time together and enjoy our natural and cultural heritage.

2 comments:

Susan Gets Native said...

I was just perusing your latest posts and saw this one...and I realized that I had read it before on the BirdEdList. I just signed RAPTOR up for the listserv and when I read your Turkey Day suggestion, I looked at your name and thought, "Rob Fergus....where have I heard that name?" And now I know! Small birding world, ain't it?
Anyway, I love the idea of turkey "hunting" on Thanksgiving. My mom has a nice-sized group of turkeys on her property, so I think this year we will start a tradition!

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea. I normally go birding T-Day morn, but don't focus on Turkeys. There is a place within a few miles of me I could almost garantee finding some, anyway there are usually there for the CBC. Maybe I'll give it a try this year.
Vern

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites