Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 07, 2005

Agony of Defeat...

The Philadelphia Eagles loss last night was nothing compared to the bad news I got this morning. While I was working on my dissertation all day Saturday, and not checking email, a Redwing was being seen only 20 minutes from my house! This is only the 3rd U.S. record of this rare European thrush. Photos are online here.

I've not been in a good position to chase birds lately, and its killing me. Chasing birds, letting birds dictate a big part of my schedule, dropping everything to go see a rare bird...this is something that really makes me feel alive, and when I can't do it, I feel a bit disconnected.

Hopefully the bird will show up again today (nobody saw it on Sunday) and I'll be able to head over there and see the bird. It was with a flock of robins, and there are large flocks of robins moving around the area now that the snow is starting to melt.

Somewhere, out there, within 20 minutes of my house, there is a very, very rare bird!

No comments:

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites