Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, March 07, 2005

Life is Good

All is well in the world. After several lame attempts, one narrow miss, and many hours in the cold, I finally saw the Barnacle Goose at Peace Valley. While I don't usually bird on Sunday--my day for family and church--I hadn't seen much of my kids this week so decided to take them for a Sunday morning walk. To Peace Valley of course.

While the kids built rock and stick houses on the dam, I managed to see the Barnacle Goose fly out with a flock of Canada Goose about 8am. Not a great look. Not a long look. But very gratifying nevertheless!

I also saw two Greater White-fronted Goose (locally rare). I went back this morning, but the geese were already leaving the lake to forage in area fields when I got there at 6:30am. This morning there were five Canvasback (locally rare) and an American Wigeon and three Common Goldeneyes. As well as the 50,000+ Canada Goose flock leaving in groups of 50-100 every few minutes.

Nothing like a good rarity sighting and the sound of goose music to get you going in the morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is a barancle goose here where i live in north tonawanda ny. she is here every day. i took some photos of her today! therealvivian@hotmail.com

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites