Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Crossbills and grebe

Stopped by Lake Nockamixon "on my way" to work this morning. No crossbills at 9am, but two flyover siskins. Went down to the marina and saw the Red-necked Grebe out in the open water. Back at the crossbill site at 9:15 I immediately heard the cracking of spruce cones as I got out of the car. The flock of White-winged Crossbills was pretty easy to see in the top of a spruce, but only for about 20 seconds. 25 birds took off calling, circled the grove, and headed off--apparently startled by a gull flying low overhead. Then it was off to work. Not a bad way to start the morning!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Bill -- are the Crossbills at the Marina?

I'd like to link to your blog from my blog: phillybirdnerd.blogspot.com

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites