Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 02, 2010

Going for 50


For the past 15 years I've been able to say I've studied birds in 47 of the 50 U.S. states (and assorted foreign countries). Last year I finally got to Hawaii and Alaska. So for the past year I've been thinking about how I could get to South Dakota, the last state left for me to visit. We ran out of time on our drive out to Utah and Oregon earlier this summer, but we bit the bullet and drove the long way home last week to finally knock off that 50th state. And what a beauty it is! Love the Black Hills and can't wait to go back. Look forward to someday spending more time out on the Plains as well. I'm just glad we missed the car-destroying tennis ball-sized hail by 15 minutes on our drive back down from Mount Rushmore! And thankful for great Verizon coverage and the Weather Bug app on my Android phone so we could track the thunder storms all around us as we drove east on I-90 across the state! Ah, the joys of travel and birding in the mobile digital age!

1 comment:

Grant McCreary said...

Congrats! That's a fantastic achievement, and one that I'm (slowly) working toward. Actually, that's one of the things I've found I like best about birding. Before birds, I wasn't really interested in traveling. And now I've seen such wonderful places I never would have been to otherwise.

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites