Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gettin all doctored up

So, long time ago, almost in a previous life, I was a PhD student at the University of Texas. Then I got a job. Then I got another job and moved away. But I still paid tuition, and kept working on the dissertation as time and energy would allow. Finally, several years later now, I'm almost done. Tomorrow I fly to Austin to defend my dissertation on urban bird conservation to my doctoral committee. If I pass the defense, I'll get my PhD in Geography. Looking forward to some good Tex-Mex, some Hornsby Bend birding, and finishing up my schooling! It's been a long and windy road!

6 comments:

Patrick B. said...

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Remember the secret to academic argument: when you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull biscuits. Cheers and the absolute best of wishes for your defense.

Anonymous said...

What's this "if I pass"? Why wouldn't you. Your certainly smart enough, you've had many years to do tons of research. Just go in there with the confidence that you can do it. As I was getting prepared to apply for engineering school I told my advisor "if I get in" and he told me the same thing. "Why wouldn't you?" No one had ever said that to me, it was always "if you go to college", "if you get accepted", and "if you get the job". I've tried to keep that attitude since then whenever I go into an interview. You don't have to be cocky about it, but just stand strong and be sincere. You can do it!

Mikael Behrens said...

Congratulations! What a milestone!

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK! What a milestone!!!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck I remember well the pain of that experience. It feels much better when it over.

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites