Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 03, 2006

Birdchaser at Home

Spent most of the weekend with my kids at home. On Saturday night, I was in the parking lot of the grocery store down the street and saw a Great Blue Heron flying down the creek towards my house at dusk. Hoping to add it to the new yard list, I sat out on the porch Sunday evening with my (almost) two-year-old. She seemed to enjoy hearing the robins and cardinals singing all around the neighborhood, and we saw a few birds flying off to roosts, but no sign of the heron. I was hoping that flying along the creek to roost was part of its normal routine, but apparently it had other things to do on Sunday.

This morning, I had breakfast out on the back porch and heard an American Goldfinch singing in the neighborhood. Eventually, it flew into our small little yard, and then hopped down to visit the bird feeder in the neighbor's yard. While these birds have started to sing, they haven't obtained their full breeding plumage, and this male was still mostly drab yellow on the back, with only a hint of black on the head. Spring is coming, but slowly!

No comments:

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites