Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 13, 2012

Snow Bunting Migration

Snow Bunting at Spruce Run Recreation Area near Clinton, NJ (13 Feb 2012).  Digiscoped with Canon PwerShot SD780 IS Digital Elph and Bausch & Lomb Discoverer scope.
On Saturday, I saw a lone Snow Bunting on the roof of a utility building at Spruce Run.  Today what seems to be the same bird was with six Horned Larks in the parking lot at the boat launch area.  There were a few of both species around in November, but as far as I know, not seen since.  My guess is they are moving around again now, heading north.  They are a late fall and early spring migrant, so looks like migration is underway!

Otherwise a cold and breezy day without a lot of birds.  I managed my 20 Bird MDR by driving around Spruce Run and hitting Demott Pond in Clinton.  No surprises.  The Hooded Mergansers that were hanging out at Demott Pond have mostly disappeared, one lone female was there today.  I've got a few birds coming into my feeders, so may see a few more birds today, but as of mid-afternoon I've seen 23 species for the day.


2 comments:

Laurence Butler said...

It's always great to see the cool birds in an unexpected environment. I'd love to see a Bunting

Kathie Brown said...

Good count! I need to see a snow bunting this year!

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites